Wage & Hour

Employees working in Washington state are protected by the Washington Minimum Wage Act ("MWA") and the Fair Labor Standards Act of 1938 (29 U.S.C. §§ 201-209). These statutes establish clear laws regulating worker rights and employer obligations.

An attorney can work to recover unpaid wages from your employer. Unpaid wages can occur through lack of proper break times, rest periods, lunch periods, or working after your shift has ended. 

Sometimes, an employer may misclassify your position and deny you the correct compensation owed to you.  An attorney can help to ensure your work is properly classified and your payment amount is correct.   

What if I am afraid of losing my job?

Both Washington law and Federal law prohibit discharge or discrimination against an employee for complaining to their employer that their rights have been violated, for filing a claim, or for testifying in RCW 49.46 proceedings (See RCW 49.46.100(2)). 

Employee rights_Matthew Ennis.png

To speak to an attorney, call us at (253) 565-5544

Recent blog posts

Outdated Wagetheft laws

Click here to view my blog 

What is Wage & Hour? 

Wage and Hour often refers to the state and federal laws that govern employee rights and employer responsibilities.  These laws frequently arise in the payment of wages, rest periods, overtime pay and record keeping.

What is the minimum wage in Washington?

The minimum wage in Washington is $9.19 per hour for 2013, and $9.32 per hour for 2014.

What is the Washington Minimum Wage Act ("MWA")?

Washington's MWA, RCW Chapter 49.46, establishes the state minimum wage, overtime pay, rest periods and employer's obligation to keep accurate records.

U.C.L.A. study draws attention to increasing problem of Wage Theft.  To read   full report  ...

U.C.L.A. study draws attention to increasing problem of Wage Theft.  To read full report...

How is the Federal Labor Standards Act ("FLSA") different than the MWA? 

The FLSA is very similar in many respects to the FLSA and formed the basis upon which the MWA was modeled after.¹ One key difference is that the MWA is restricted to Washington State Employers, while the FLSA is extended to employees engaged in interstate commerce or to employees of enterprises that meet a business volume test.²

What is the difference between an employee versus an independent contractor?

An independent contract is not specifically defined under the MWA or the FLSA, however, courts have dealt with the issue by applying an "economic reality" test.  Some of the factors the 9th circuit have used in Real v. Driscoll Strawberry Associates Inc.,  603 F.2d 748, 754-55 (9th Cir. 1979)  are:

     1) The degree of the alleged employer's right to control the manner in which the work is to be performed;

     2) The alleged employee's opportunity for profit or loss depending on the his managerial skill; 

     3) The alleged employee's investment in equipment or materials required for his task, or his employment of helpers; 

     4) whether the service rendered requires a special skill; 

     5) the degree of permanence of the working relationship; 

     6) whether the service rendered is an integral part of the alleged employer's business. 

How many rest breaks am I entitled to?

The Industrial Welfare Act ("IWA") establishes the right to

a) receive paid rest breaks of at least 10 minutes for every four hours of work and

b) to not be required to work more than three hours without a break.³ 

Am I required to be paid for my lunch break? 

Generally, if an employee is required to remain at his or her desk or be on call, the employee should be paid for this time.

What can I do if I feel I am owed wages? 

If you believe you are owed back wages for rest periods, meal breaks, or other uncompensated time, you should contact an attorney immediately.  In Washington, an employee maintains a private right of action against an employer as well as the ability to complain to the Department of Labor & Industries. 

¹See Tift v. Professional Nursing Services, Inc., 76 Wn. App. 577, 583, 866 P.2d 1158 (Div. I. 1995).

²See U.S.C. § 203(r).

³WAC 296-126-092(4)-(5) 

⁴RCW 49.46.090(1).


If you think you are owed wages...

Our office can be reached at (253) 565-5544 or by email at info@hagerennis.com

To Contact:

P. (253) 565-5544  

F. (253) 565-0361


Name *

Employee Rights Hager and Ennis.png

 © 2018 All Rights Reserved Hager & Ennis LLP 6314 19th Street West, Ste 12 Fircrest, WA 98466

Phone: (253) 565-5544 Fax: (253) 565-0361 | By Matthew Ennis | DISCLAIMER